Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Characteristics of the Master Course
The Course has the duration of one year and involves a total commitment of 1500 hours and 60 Credits.
Teaching hours are divided as follows:
- 460 hours for face to face lectures;
- 100 hours dedicated to seminars and workshops;
- 40 hours for guidance module.
Courses are held in full-time alternating weekends.
The aim of this Master course is to train professionals with a unified vision and objective, able to act in complex situations and to establish priorities. Professionals who can operate both in their cooperation and in Africa’s development support, that can be a supporting element and contribute to the development of commercial, financial and industrial development, especially with Italy and Italian companies. Because of the specificity of the area of intervention, the development’s managers ,needed in the international context, must be able to read the crisis from different perspectives and address the solutions that the technicians of the sector will subsequently develop.
The Master offers an interdisciplinary study in order to deepen the regional knowledge of the African context and to provide an in-depth vision of development’s theory and the practice of interventions in international cooperation.
The course is strongly oriented to the practice, that guarantees on one hand the acquisition of knowledge’s tools of the regional context on the other hand the formation of a strong theoretical background.
The professional figure created after completing this Master Course will have a global vision on various themes such as development issues, migration and managerial approach. This figure will have the opportunity to work in:
- International Organizations and United Nations;
- NGO’s at national and international level;
- Research and study centers;
- National and international public administration (such as Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Agency for Cooperation);
- Local and public administrations;
- Service companies;
- University with abroad projects assistance;
- Private companies with investment abroad programs, particularly in crisis areas.
To be admitted to this Master Course, candidates must be in posses of a Master of Art Degree (Laurea Magistrale) released from an Italian University or an equivalent degree got from a foreign University , legally recognized by the Italian Government. Academic titles held abroad must have the declaration of value that must be issued by Italian diplomatic representations in the country in which the title is obtained.
Requirements must be fulfilled and demonstrated before the deadline of the University call for participation, otherwise, candidates will not be able to participate in the selection test.
Furthermore, candidates who have TOEFL or IELTS, certificate will be exempted from the selection test.
Lectures (460 hours)
The programme is divided into three units:
UNIT 1 – A Common Language (80 h)
- The geography: the many Africa(s); ethnic identities; cultures; religions
- The many stories: from colonialism up to now, from missionaries to the Chinese role, African nationalism
- The economies of leopard skin: between hunger and growth rates in double figures / resources and desertification: comparing models
- The African cooperation policies and the many regional economic and financial organizations, (CEN-SAD, ECCAS; UNECA; APRM; SADC, EAC, COMESA, IGAD, Jorah; African Development Bank, Islamic Bank, etc.)
- Migration: current data, origins, directions, structural and economic causes
- The European and Italian policy toward Africa
UNIT 2 – Cooperation Development and Mitigation of Migration Flows (180 h)
- Funding sources, aid programs by area and the role of the various international and African organizations. (Exploring European and Italian initiatives)
- Possible interventions to reduce migration: experiences and case studies
- How to prepare development projects: application of the Cycle Management Project and sustainable development criteria:
- Local development, small projects, microfinance
- Organization of emergency post-conflict interventions / environmental disaster / famine
- Health sector intervention and mass campaigns organization (communication, vaccination etc.)
- Humanitarian aid actions and human rights protection/ childhood and women’s role
- Governance and capacity building projects
- Peacebuilding and conflict’s management
- African Universities development assistance
- University condition per area
- Possible support services and intervention project preparation
UNIT 3 – The strengthening of the economic partnership, the development of new businesses, Investments (200 h)
- The Italian context: current agreements; organizations and Italian companies engaged; sectors and areas of interest; banking and investment aid; the role of ICI, Simest and Sace
- The African context: modality of commercial relations construction and business partnerships investments:
- Regional organizations, financial and trade institutions (context, procedures and approach rules) in the Maghreb, Egypt and Sudan; in West Africa; in East Africa; in Central Africa; in South Africa.
- Terms of partnership and investment in various areas; sectors’ case analysis and intervention hypothesis:
- Manufacturing sector
- Advanced training of entrepreneurial culture: experiences, techniques, intervention hypotheses
- Intervention instruments
- The legal and juridical aspects in the different scenarios and the respect of labor rights and ethical code
- Techniques of business plan construction
- Accompanying / assistance mode to enterprises in order to start participation in the different scenarios
- How to organize an environmental or social compensation in support of an international investment
Lab/Workshop/Seminars (100 h)
- Workshop: training course Heat-Hostile Environment Awareness Training (20h) (in collaboration with the Military High command)
- Seminars: unmanned aircraft system and Drones for land and sea control (20h)
- European projects planning Laboratory: definition and development of a project intervention drawn on “European Trust Fund to address the causes of illegal migration in Africa” (40 hours)
Guidance module (40 hours)
The guidance module has as a topic “Career Development” and foresee the discussion of the following topics:
Part I – The youth labor market
Part II – Strategic approach to job seeking